Damp conditions are ideal for mold to grow nearly anywhere in the house. Mold in general has almost no health effects, but the chemicals that are used to get rid of them might be dangerous to our health. Such potentially harmful chemicals are or instance formaldehyde and pentachorophenol. Most mold cleaners have “DANGER” label on them with the strong recommendation to be used in areas with proper ventilation.
Luckily for you, toxic chemicals are not the only way to eliminate the mold, as there are other safer methods to do that.
In order for mold to survive and grow, it needs some conditions. An ideal place for the development of mold is a dark and moist place with little or no moving air. On the other hand, a light and dry place is actually deadly for the mold. The most common solution for most mold problem is the introduction of heat (to get rid of the moisture), moving air and light.
If you happen to live in a moist environment with little sunlight, you need to ensure that heat does circulate around the entire house. Your house has to be safe and dry, even if it requires higher energy consumption. Our health and belongings might be damaged by mold, so it is recommended to have a dry and warm house. With the use of a water powered sump pump, you can keep unwanted water out.
A smaller area of mold can be easily treated with use of a small dryer which takes care of the problem in minutes.
The growth of mold can be prevented by maintaining all areas dry. Locate the source of humidity and get rid of it. For instance, if you are having mold problems in the bathroom, the perfect solution is a small space heater to dry out the bathroom after a bath or shower. Another solution is the use of a fan. Keep in mind that mold cannot grow without moisture.
If you live in a rather humid area, the purchase of a dehumidifier might be quite useful.
The mold on hard surfaces, including shower tiles, can be removed with the use of vinegar and water, or borax and water, in some sort of spray bottle. Spray the mixture right on the surface to wipe off the mold. You can prevent the growth of mold with the use of borax. Thus, it is a good idea for the bathroom walls to be washed down with a borax solution.
A small steam cleaner is also great for eliminating mold, as it sanitizes, cleans and deodorizes in the same time.